Recipe: Vegan Fish And Chips
This modern vegan take on classic fish and chips is the perfect dish to keep your menu on-trend and exciting in 2021.
As more and more people embrace plant-based trends like flexitarianism and veganuary, this deep-fried banana blossom meal is sure to wow diners with its bold flavours of the sea and beautiful presentation.
- 1-piece approx. of 120g banana blossom (tinned)
- 5 g sea-salt (490054)
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill (HB605)
- 1/2 sheet of crushed Nori seaweed (497122)
- 200 ml water
- 30 g plain flour
- 100 ml McDougall batter mix (85715)
- 200 g pont neuf chips blanched (VP452)
- 50 g peas (4599)
- 20 g peeled and diced potatoes
- 100 ml vegan stock
- 2 g wasabi and sesame spice mix (SP225)
- 5 g chopped samphire (HB568)
- 5 g chopped capers (Z98)
- 5 g chopped gherkins (z961904)
- 5 g chopped red onion (490208)
- 2 g chopped parsley (HB553)
- 50 g vegan mayonnaise (MS637)
- 10 g savoy cabbage (outer green leaves) (VW326)
- 1 lemon wedge (FW611)
- Mix the water, salt, nori and half of the dill together and marinate the banana blossom (preferably a day in advance).
- Add the remaining dill to the batter mix.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, samphire, capers, gherkins, red onion and parsley.
- Place the peas, potatoes and vegan stock in a pan and simmer until soft. Purée in a blender with the wasabi and sesame spice mix.
- Julienne the savoy cabbage and deep fry until crispy. Drain and season with a little salt and sugar.
- Drain and pat dry the banana blossom and dust with flour. Dip into the batter mix and deep fry until it is gold and crispy.
- Deep fry the pont neuf chips.
- Place the pont neuf chips in the centre of the plate and place the banana blossom on top, serve with pea purée, samphire tartar and garnish with the crispy savoy cabbage and a wedge of lemon.
For more recipes from our team of experts, click here.