Recipe: Summer Duck Salad With Asian-Style Dressing
“Everywhere I go, I go to restaurants and I see a chicken caesar salad and I say ‘oh no’, says Sysco chef Patrick Clement. “Surely we can do something different?”
This is where the summer duck salad comes in as a perfect seasonal alternative.
This summer duck salad is the embodiment of sitting out in the sun on a terrace with a glass of wine. The lightness of the dish is brought out by the Asian style – bean sprouts, Chinese leaves and soy glaze.
Contrary to the typical expectation that duck is a fatty meat, the roasted nature of the duck means that some fat has been rendered off, resulting in a balanced dish without losing the rich flavour.
- 1/2 of a wombok, finely shredded (SL330)
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into julienne (VP692)
- 110g of bean sprouts (SL329)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (VW710)
- 20g of spinach leaves (HB595)
- 20g of mint leaves (491008)
- 20g of coriander leaves (HB106)
- 400g Roast Silver Hill duck thinly sliced (D8Z)
- Santa Maria BBQ Asian Style Soy Glaze (491269)
- 55g of roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped (5825)
For the dressing:
- 60ml of lime juice (JU376)
- Santa Maria Caribbean Style Glaze (491270)
- 2ml of fish sauce (OR527)
- 2ml of rice wine vinegar (VR111)
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped (VW658)
- To make the dressing, whisk the lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, vinegar and chilli together in a jug until sugar dissolves.
- Combine the wombok, carrot, bean sprouts, scallions, spinach, mint and coriander in a large bowl.
- Drizzle over the dressing and toss to combine. Divide among serving bowls.
- Top with duck and sprinkle with peanuts. Serve immediately.
For more recipes from our team of experts, click here.