Recipe: Roasted Baby Beet Salad
The hallmarks of this salad are versatility and simplicity.
Perfect as a starter or main while also catering to your vegetarian customer base – it’s crunchy, colourful and healthy.
“Beets have really come back into trend just now, and the joys of which we have with the baby beets is that they’re small, succulent and they’re actually quite sweet as well,” says Sysco chef Alasdair MacInnes.
Indeed, the humble beet is enjoying a rise in popularity once more, so stay on top of the trend with this simple, sweet and sumptuous salad that will bring you from summer into autumn seamlessly.
- 200g baby beetroot and baby candy beetroot (FW618 and VW217)
- 100g ricotta cheese (CH4391)
- 20g baby leaves (SL327)
- 20g fresh basil (HB576)
- 100ml olive oil (OL101)
- 2 thin slices baguette bread (BR712z)
- 1 clove garlic (VP351)
- 1 pinch sea salt (SP148)
- Cut baby beets in half (remove green leaves prior), mix beets with olive oil and season well.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180C and cook for 15 minutes.
- Blend basil and olive oil together for dressing till smooth.
- In a large bowl add baby leaves and beets and mix together with basil dressing, arrange in a large wide salad bowl and crumble ricotta cheese on top.
- For croutons, rub garlic clove onto bread and sprinkle with sea salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake croutons in a preheated oven at 180C for a few minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Arrange croutons on side of a salad bowl and serve.
For more recipes from our team of experts, click here