Recipe: Cod Tournedos
“Every kitchen has to be challenging themselves to produce something that is different for their customers, or is different from the restaurant down the road.” – Patrick Clement, Business Development Chef at Sysco.
A seafood twist on a traditional beef recipe, these cod tournedos offer diners something they’ve never had before. The sweet and delicious tournedos are draped in a floral jus that sings with notes of honey and elderflower, served alongside a rich mushroom marmalade and crunchy pistachio grapes.
What makes any fish dish great is, of course, the supplier you’re sourcing from, and we’re lucky enough to be partnered with Wrights of Howth – guaranteeing fresh, quality ingredients with every delivery.
Cod Tournedos Ingredients
- Cod fillets (FS915)
- Long sliced smoked salmon (490733)
- 90 g wild mushrooms (VW769)
- Butter (DY278)
- Hazelnut oil (OL300)
- 20 g veal jus (G129)
- 100 ml white wine vinegar (VR106)
- Lemon juice (FW611)
- 100 ml Chardonnay
- 3 tbsp honey (JM322)
- 20 g elderflower (Z990382)
- 300 g Jerusalem artichokes (VW766)
- 150 g double cream (DY 201)
- 1 tbsp ground almonds (NU103)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (100262)
Pistachio and Rice Krispie Grapes Ingredients
- 200 g seedless grapes (476031)
- 10 g pistachio nuts (NU117)
- 10 g poppy seeds (PU346)
- 10 g fennel seeds (85286)
- 10 sunflower seeds (88884)
- 20 g Rice Krispies (Z211048)
- 50 g sugar (Z313002)
- Pinch of chilli (SP266)
- Salt & pepper
Cod Tournedos Method
- Place the large fillets of cod in coarse sea salt for 20 minutes and then rinse it in cold water to remove all salt.
- Put several layers of cling film on a worktop. Place a layer of sliced smoked salmon, then place in cod fillets and roll to make a large sausage and tie tightly. Keep refrigerated for 12 hours.
- Cut tournedos and keep refrigerated to use later.
- In a pan, place some butter, hazelnut oil and sautée the wild mushrooms. Add the veal jus and cook and reduce. Chopped the wild mushrooms into a marmalade consistency.
- To prepare the floral jus, boil the lemon juice with the honey and elderflower syrup for a minute, then add the white wine vinegar and simmer until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and add a small pinch of the beetroot and ginger purée. Leave to stand for 30 minutes, then strain through a fine sieve into a small bowl and set aside to warm.
- For the artichoke purée, cut the artichokes into evenly sized chunks and boil in lightly salted water with the lemon juice for until tender
- Drain and return the artichokes to the pan with the cream, ground almonds, olive oil and some seasoning. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes
- Pour the mixture into a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth. Put the purée through a sieve and keep warm.
Pistachio and Rice Krispie Grape Method
- In a pestle & mortar crush the pistachios and Rice Krispies until you are left with a fine powder, then add chilli.
- Add the sugar to a frying pan and place over medium heat. Once the sugar has melted, add the grapes to the pan, followed by the powder mix, then stir until the grapes are nicely coated.
- In a Pan add some butter and pan-fry the cod tournedos and place in the oven at 170 c for about 8 minutes until cooked.
- On a warm plate put some artichoke puree, place cod tournedos on top and add a quenelle of wild mushroom marmalade to the top of the tournedos. Garnish with some crunchy green grapes and add a cordon of floral jus.